Thursday, April 3, 2008

Race

Today in class was the best class so far. I know I have said that before but now today just beat all the others! Haha it was fun because it was interesting. Really interesting. It was something that we all enjoyed talking about. Maybe not enjoyed as such, but rather something that we all had an input in. And whether or not we actually stated our input is a different story. I think the reason we all did not blatantly come out and say our feelings is all because we are scared of what is going to happen. Tomorrow is the anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.’s death. He came out and talked about civil Rights and look what happened to him. I know today is different and I really doubt someone shooting their fellow student for just stating how they feel. Lets just hope not. The way I see it, I do not feel any differently or think differently of white and blacks or Asians or Hispanics, but rather the way people act. I can not stand thugs. Maybe because the way I raised but that is not being racist. I am not stating whether whoever the thug is is black or white but I just can not stand the way thugs act or dress or talk. I don’t think today people are so called “racist” but rather just associate certain things to the majority. We do that to so many different things in life. If most of the baseball players are cocky, your going to associate them to being cocky. That is just how people associate certain people to certain groups.

4 comments:

Michael said...

I also really enjoyed today's discussion! It was definitly interesting and everybody was engaged in the discussion. We should take more often about so controvercial topics.

Brooxie said...

I definitely agree that it was the best class so far. I thought everyone really got into and “tried” to state how they feel. I agree that I do not care what race you are but it is all about the way you act and how you choose to carry yourself. I think that everyone chooses how they want to act and it is not necessarily based on their race.

Sarah said...

This was an interesting class. I really liked hearing others’ opinions on the issue of race since it really is not discussed. It is one of those topics people just avoid because there is always a chance of someone getting offended. I agree with you that race is like anything else in that we tend to associate what we know of something to anything that has a similar characteristic.

Boatwright said...

I enjoyed the class but I look at race at a different angle. I believe that diversity is a blessing. We can learn so much from each other but for the most part we are all the same. For an example, the diversity is, my ethnic culture is African American, my nationaliy is American, my race is human.